When we are looking for a little moment of pampering, what better than a good hot homemade soup to warm up and reinvigorate with its nutritional benefits. With its seasonal vegetables, it is usually a vitamin potion to give a boost to our body, tired by all the toxins accumulated daily. The soup proposed in this article is, could not be more special. Lentils, turmeric, apple or coconut milk, will be its main ingredients. Let's discover this atypical recipe without further ado.
But before detailing the preparation of this soup, know that the latter is a dish rich in nutritious ingredients and low in calories, if you do not need to add unnecessary fat. In addition, when it is consumed as a starter, it has the merit of generating a satiating effect that will reduce your appetite to prevent you from getting on the main course; an asset for those who wish to reduce their weight.
The benefits of ingredients
Native to Asia and North Africa, lentils remain a staple and a good source of calcium, phosphorus, iron and vitamins of group B. Rich in fiber and polyphenols, they have beneficial effects for health and prevent several diseases, as indicated in this study, by exercising anti-diabetic, anti-obesity, antimicrobial and cardio-protective effect.
Turmeric has been used for millennia and has been the subject of a number of studies. It has several compounds to its credit, including curcumin. Its anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory power gives it the advantage of being a preventive measure against arthritis, anxiety and hyperlipidemia, as this study suggests.
It is considered one of the healthiest fruits that exist, having multiple health benefits. And because its source of phytochemicals that play a major role in preventing certain diseases, including cardiovascular, asthma, diabetes and cholesterol, as indicated in this study.
Coconut milk is mainly rich in iron, magnesium, potassium, copper, selenium and essential fats. According to one study, it would increase the level of HDL cholesterol, while reducing that of LDL (bad cholesterol).
Recipe for lentil and turmeric soup
Here are the ingredients of this soup. However, it must be remembered that all foods used in this recipe must be grown organically to protect themselves from the harmful effects of pesticides.
- 2 cups of red lentils
- 2 grated apples
- ½ cup of coconut milk
- 1 onion cut into small cubes
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- A pinch of black pepper
- 3 cups hot water
- Start by rinsing the lenses with water until it becomes clear and let them drain.
- In a saucepan, sauté the onions in the coconut oil until they become translucent and golden.
- Add the turmeric and apples and cook for 2 minutes while stirring with a spatula.
- Add the water and bring to a boil.
- Once the mixture are boiling, turn down the heat and add the lentils; simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- Once this time has elapsed, add the coconut milk and other spices and continue cooking for about 10 to 20 minutes, until the lentils are cooked. Add water, if necessary, and simmer until the soup is completely cooked.